Friday, May 29, 2015

강원도에서는 다 할 수 있어: 나의 이야기, 경험 및 여행 (EVERYTHING IS POSSIBLE IN GANGWON-DO: My Story, My Experience, My Journey)

FELL IN-LOVE IN GANGWON-DO WITH LOVE 
(강원도 푹 빠지다)

Sick of following the trend, then why don't you look for something fun and new. South Korea is not just about Hallyu (Korean wave) and chic, handsome and beautiful people, there are so many unique and interesting things you haven't seen and experience yet I bet. In this post I will introduce one of Korea's most promising province not just for domestic residents but as well as to foreigners. I will introduce the province of Gangwon to you using my three-day two-night WKS journey and I am pretty sure you will definitely will want to experience it yourself. Come with me and let’s discover together Gangwon-do the WKS way.

Fifteen days had passed since 2015 Wow Korea Supporters (WKS) had their first trip in Gangwon-do yet I still vividly remember all those memories I blissfully made together with other marvelous intellectuals from all around Asia. Treasured precious memories, experiences, and moments I always reminisced in my solitary, tough, and weary days. I know I may not had the opportunity to properly relay how much I value those wonderful people I met during my first WKS journey, but deep inside my heart I am really delighted, grateful and blessed to have the opportunity to meet them. People who become my friends and second family who supported me in the path I confidently chose to endeavour. This is my story, my experience, my journey. Journey of a Wow Korea Supporter. Journey of a proud SNUnian.

Semester is almost approaching its end and yet here I am exploring Korea as if my schedule is not that busy. As they say “if there’s a will, there’s a way.” It’s beyond imagination how tight my schedule is, however, my passion and interest for traveling made everything possible for me to balance both my academic life and social should I say my travel life. Paradox as it may seems to other yet for me everything is possible once I dedicated myself into it.   

As my title suggest, Gangwon-do is a haven for all seasons in Korea, from summer to winter foreign and domestic visitors alike can enjoy the province without the worry what to do next in the following day. So as a WKS I got the best opportunity ever to tour around Gangwon-do and Korea as a whole, tour not in the conventional way but in an unconventional way. Unconventional way here I mean visiting those places not popular yet to tourist (domestic and foreigners) perhaps more than worth visiting and exploring.

First day, 33 WKS members visited the new Korea Tourism Organization (KTO) headquarters office in Wonju. Since it is newly established building one can feel how relax the place it. Personally speaking, I really like the building because it is made of glass so you can easily see the outside view and enjoy the nature surrounding it. In here we made one of the most memorable part of our WKS journey that is to be given the formal appointment as an official Korea Tourism Organization's "Wow Korea Supporter."

Everyone was so delighted to become an official WKS member and so do I.



Address: 10, Segye-ro, Wonju-si, Gangwon-do 220-170 
For inquiries feel free to contact them at +82-33-738-3000. 

After the 2015 Wow Korea Supporter’s appointment ceremony we visited one of Gangwon-do most delicious Korean restaurant. Delicious that I was so speechless, indeed Wow Food in Wow Korea. Never thought that 닭갈비 (Dakgalbi or Stir-Fried Chicken) will be that delicious since I already tried so much before. For me this is the best one ever in Korea. Mouth-watering Stir-fried chicken balance by cooked and fresh vegetables, and fried rice.
Address: 69 Toegyedong, 36 Beon-gil, Namcheon-ro, Chuncheon-si, Gangwon-do. [강원도 춘천시 남춘로36번길 69 (퇴계동)]

** For more information about 한가족숮불닭갈비 (Han Kajuk sutbul dakgalbi or One Family Charcoal-grilled Spicy Stir-Fried Chicken) Restaurant visit Korean Tourism Organization website, unfortunately the language available is Korean only

To continue this amazing WKS journey let me introduce one of my favorite part of the trip. As an individual who appreciates and love work of art so much I personally like visiting museum and so far among the museum I visited in Korea this is among one of the best. The name of the place we visited is Wonju’s San Museum. "San" in Korean means "mountain" so basically without doubt you will find this museum on top on the magnificent mountain. I find the museum really fascinating for every work of arts were delicately chosen to match and be balance with the nature. I personally enjoyed appreciating and admiring those work of arts for it helps me developed my imagination.

Address: 260 San Museum 2 Gil Oku Valley Jijuongmyeon Wonju-si, Gangwon-do, 220-821 (220-821 강원도 원주시 지정면 오크밸리 2길 260 Museum San). For inquiries feel free to contact them at +82-33-730-9000 or send email to www.museumsan.org.

How to get to San Museum:
Instruction in Korean: http://museumsan.org/index.jsp
Instruction in English: http://www.museumsan.org/hansolmuseum_en.pdf


Moving ahead after the Museum trip the WKS team moved to Sokcho for seafood experience. Honestly speaking, I have seafood allergy but the smell and the juicy taste of the seafoods (crabs, shrimps among others) makes me want to eat endlessly. Thank goodness I have my medicines with me so I can enjoy them without any worries. The cold breeze of the river nearby welcome the WKS with good vibes. Needless to say the Korean middle-age women (the so-called 아줌마 – ahjumma) were so nice and friendly towards us. The sincere smiles and hugs they shared with us was so unforgettable for me that I wanted to return to Sokcho again when I have opportunity to do so.

How to Get to Sokcho from Seoul

Go to Dong Seoul Bus Terminal [동서울터미널] which is in Gangbyeon Station (강변역) of Seoul Subway Line No.2 (Green Line) and go out at Exit 4 then take a bus bound for Sokcho. The trip usually takes 2 hours and 50 minutes to 3 hours and 30 minutes if the traffic is not so good. First bus at 06:25am and last bus at 11:00pm. Runs 49 times in daily basis.

At Gangnam Express Bus Terminal which is in subway line 3 or 7 Express Bus Terminal (고속터미널) Station, take a bus bound for Sokcho. The trip usually takes 4 hours. First bus at 06:30am and last bus at 9:00pm. Runs 27 times in a daily basis.


** I suggest you take the first opinion since you can get more chance to go there and the travel time is shorter in case you wanted to be there earlier and enjoy the place more. **

After this endless seafood experience, the day is almost coming to an end, so the WKS team went to the K-hotel and do some training and recreation activities. I believe every WKS team members enjoyed this part so much primarily because this was the time that all of us feel once again that we are young children. Seeing magic tricks with much anticipation, excitement, and amazement as if we were in a Children’s birthday party. The hotel we stayed was pretty good for everything was provided except the toiletries yet for me the ambiance and the service as a whole was superb nothing more to say.
Address of The K Seoraksan Family Hotel (The K 설악산가족 호텔): 470-7, Seoraksan-ro, Sokcho-City, Gangwon-Do, Korea. For inquiries feel free to contact them at +82-33-639-8100.
 
How to Get to Sokcho from Seoul by Express Bus 


Sokcho to Seoul (Gangnam)  
First Bus at 6:30am and last bus at 11:30pm
Approximately 3 hours 30 minutes travel time


Sokcho to Seoul (East Seoul)
 

First Bus at 06:50am and last bus at 7:50pm
Approximately 2 hours 50 minutes travel time


Sokcho to Incheon
 

First Bus at 06:40am and last bus at 7:10pm
Approximately 4 hours travel time


Sokcho to Gwangmyung
 

First Bus at 07:20am and last bus at 7:30pm
Approximately 4 hours travel time


Sokcho to Cheolsan 

 First Bus at 07:20am and last bus at 7:30pm
Approximately 4 hours travel time

 
** For more information about the hotel and for details on how to get there via private car visit the hotel website at https://www.thek-hotel.co.kr/e_seoraksan/main.asp **

As my story for the first day of the WKS trip comes to an end, personally speaking for me the best part of this trip was doing various individual and group missions just like the Korean Reality Television show “Running Man” or the famous American reality television game show “Amazing Race” because although we were given very limited time we still managed to finish all the missions (be it individual and group) successfully not minding the time constrains and pressures.

Second day, we kicked start it with a very healthy Korean food at Seoraksan meeting hall restaurant and went directly to Seoraksan National Park.


This is my first time to go to Korea’s most famous mountain after my almost 2 years of stay in Korea. I remember after I step my feet in the ground of the Seoraksan national park the only thing I uttered was 난 드디어 설악산이 왔다. 얼마나 행복한지 잘 모르겠다 (Finally I am here in Seorak mountain. I can’t explain how happy I am.)

Moving ahead WKS team went to do strawberry picking at Uenggol strawberry village. Short but worth it experience. Needless to say, although it was a short experience everyone did enjoyed it primarily because it was the first time for them to do so. The strawberry we picked was so sweet and fresh and one need not to wash it, all we need to do is just eat and enjoy.

** For organic food lovers this is for you. **


** For more information about strawberry picking in Ueuggol (응골) visit this website: http://sokchoberry.co.kr/ **

When you are in Korea the first thing you should learn is how to eat well and to have extra space in your stomach even though you just ate since Koreans really and seriously love to eat. But what is fascinating about it you can barely see big Korean people.

Kidding aside in this trip I can say eating was our most favorite hobby besides taking photos. After our lunch we were tasked to tour around in the nearby market and experience some of the most delicious and representative foods of Sokcho Tour and Fishery Market and Abai Village (아바이 마을) and at the end of the day introduce and promote them to our friends using our personal SNS accounts. After the food madness tour our group and other groups decided to play and eat near the pristine beach. I honestly like this place for I was able to experience traditional and modern Korean culture at the same time. Needless to say the very clear and refreshing water of the beach nearby made me relaxed for a while.

 Address: 122, Cheongho-ro, Sokcho-si, Gangwon-do, South Korea. [대한민국 강원도 속초시 청호로 122 (청호동)]

How to go Myeong Cheon Myeong Tae Sundae and Abai Village:
1. From Sokcho Express Terminal take city bus Number 1 or 7 or 9 (about 10 minutes ride). Another option is to take cab, takes only 5 minutes to reach the place.
2. From Sokcho Intercity Bus Terminal take city bus 7-1 or 9-1 and get off at City Hall (about 10 minutes ride). Then walk about 5 minutes and take a boat on the way to Cheongho-dong.

After the food trip in Sokcho Tour and Fishery Market the WKS team went to one of the most beautiful and cleanest beach I have seen in Korea (relatively speaking from those in Busan). Indulging ourselves and playing like little children in the brownish-white sand of the Anmok beach made us feel relaxed and energized should I say.
Address: 16, Changhae-ro 14 beon-gil, Gangneung-si, Gangwon-do, South Korea [대한민국 강원도 강릉시 창해로14번길 16]

How to get to Anmok Beach (안목해변): 
From Seoul Express Bus Terminal or Dong Seoul Bus Terminal take an express bus bound for Gangneung Express Bus Terminal. Then take a taxi to the beach. It will take about 20 minutes and the fare is 9,000 won.

As I already emphasized at the beginning of this post, our journey is not just about traveling but it is also about eating those unconventional Korean foods and here we are in 차현희순두부청국장. Soft tofu stew with small octopus (낙지순두부전골) was one of the food that I think most of the WKS enjoyed while chatting merrily with one another. Personally speaking, I am not a big fan of octopus exacerbated by my seafood allergy but for the sake of having good memory, I did tried to eat it and I highly recommend this food for all visitors (foreign and domestic alike) in Gangneung.

We ended the second day with the most fascinating group mission that is to promote the coffee street of Gangneung using our very own mini-video clip. I believe coffee is an everyday drink for Gangneung people given the heaven of coffee shops established in front of the beach. Indeed, Coffee is a lifestyle for everyone in Gangneung.
From there we went to our Hanok homestay place and to kill time while trying to finish our trip other missions most of the participants enjoyed the night with games which helped them improve their camaraderie and established a closer relationship. Positive thing given that we will be together until the end of this year.

It was my first overnight stay at traditional Korean house (in Korean 한옥). Such a magnificent place to experience a picturesque balance of nature and traditional culture. Since it is my first time to stay in Korean traditional house I have so much expectations about it and so far this place went beyond my expectations. Although it's a traditional house they make it is so convenient for the guest. Air conditioning, floor heating and fridge were provided. Even though the room I stayed don't have hot or warm water in the bathroom it was still alright cause I feel refresh after all haha. I stayed outside until dawn (to study) and enjoyed the fresh breeze of the air while listening to the sound of frog and insect as my background music which I never thought would be fun since I live in the capital. Early in the morning I took a stroll outside. I could say it was superb place because you can see how well they consider where to place the houses at the middle of the nature and yet still preserving its pristine beauty. Once you open the door you will be welcome by the fresh air and greenery. Overall it was such a relaxing place. Awesome place to unwind and detoxify from the stressful and busy schedule of the city.


Of course, Gangwon-do journey will never be complete without experiencing the most thrilling adventure you will probably experience in Korea. As the song goes “you can reach me by railway, you can reach me by trailway” best simplify my fascinating rail bike experience. Needless to say I did this rail bike experience with my newly found tour buddies who were just so awesome that I feel like we were friends in our passed lives! What more can I asked for, doing rail bike with ease since it is an automatic one and just enjoying the magnificent scenery of the Jeong dongjin Beach with amazing girls. Everything is so near yet it is so far. Mother Nature sure moves in a very mysterious way.


Address: 17 Jeongdongjin-ri gil, Gangdong-myeon, Gangneung-si, Gangwon-do (강원 강릉시 강동면 강동면 정동진역길 17)
 

How to get there by public transportation (Bus)
From Gangneung Intercity Terminal or Express Bus Terminal take bus 109. Get off at Jeongdong and walk about 300 meters.

How to get there by public transportation (Train)
Take a train from Cheongnyangni Station to Jeongdongjin Station.  

Last but definitely not the least, indeed as they saying goes save the best for last. WKS team most favorite place, Gangwon-do's very own Haslla Museum. Imagine the most unimaginable. Describe the most indescribable. Moment you enter this place you will definitely fell in love with it. Everything is just so perfect inside and out. From work of arts to nature to the food itself what more can you wish for. Haslla museum is just too good to be true. Not enough words can describe how my feeling was when I visited the place. A must see and a highly recommended place to visit in the Province of Gangwon.

The first WKS trip ends but not my endless journey to unveil the beauty of the Paradise of Korea.




*TOGETHER WE FELL IN-LOVE IN GANGWON-DO WITH LOVE*

Acknowledgements: Special thanks to Ms. Krista Nido for allowing me to use her photo (Guest Magician's photo holding the WKS flags); Ms. Marian Victoria Alcantara for the tons of superb Haslla Museum Wedding Hall photos and food photos taken during the korean Table d'hote experience; thank you so much to our awesome coordinators Mr. Cho Sumin and Mr. Kim Sang Yoon for the group photo of 2015 WKS and for the Rail bike photo together with Ms. Princess Kaite Corporal, credits to Mr. Jonathan Lee for the bike photo taken from Haslla Museum, big thanks to our SNU leader Jack Sithiphone Sithoumphalath and SNU ladies for the Coffee promotion video and group photo in front of the cafe thumbs up for your active participation girls Ms. Mavis Soo, Ms. Pim-on Atipattayakul, Ms. Fatma Betül Yalçın, Ms. Hela AlBna'a, and Ms. Neeharika Choudhury.

**Please do not repost photos 
without prior permission** 

#2015wowkoreasupporter #2015년와우코리아서포터즈 #wowkorea #와우코리아 #wowfood #KTO #Gangwonprovince #강원도 #wonju #원주 #sokcho #속초 #gangneung #강릉 #daepoharbor #대포항 #abaivillage #아바이마을 #sanmuseum #뮤지엄San #HasllaMuseum #하슬라뮤지엄 #K설악산가족호텔 #seoraksannationalpark #설악산국립공원 #seorakmountain #설악산 #cablecar #케이블카 #Sokchocentralmarket #속초중앙시장 #seongyujang #선교장 #jeongdongjinrailbike #정동진레일바이크 #railbike #레일바이크 #jeongjinbeach #정동진해변 #anmokbeach #안목해변 #hanok #한옥 #charcoalgrilledstir-friedchicken #숮불닭갈비 #Onefamilycharcoalgrilledstir-friedchicken #한가족숮불닭갈비#strawberrypickingexperience #딸기수확체험 #uenggolstrawberry #응골딸기 #sundae #순대 #porkbellysausage #Myeongcheonsundae #명천순대 #Sundae with Squid and Sundae Stew #오징어순대와순대전골 #차현희순두부청국장 #Softtofustewwithsmall octopus #낙지순두부전골 #Dried Pollack Soup #황태국정#Korean Table D’hote #한정식 

No comments:

Post a Comment